Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Unemployment - Day One

The day began in the usual fashion. Up, talking to chickens, looking for eggs. Strong, sweet coffee, bacon, bed making and Aaron bouncing in at 7:30. This time was different. I was still in my nightgown, and I was reading the paper when he came in. I went to bed before 10pm, as usual. I couldn't sleep a wink. I was making mental lists all night and practically squealing aloud thinking of all I could do now. I got up at 11:30pm and greased the cast iron pots with bacon grease. I'm not kidding. I sat up til 1:15am looking at sewing books and poking around on blogs.

I got up at 5am to make Glen's lunch. That's m'job.

I'm having a lot of mixed emotions. I applied for unemployment. I'm still maintaining my good attitude, and secretly I'm on my knees thanking God for this, but I do feel that it was wrong to get fired over this. Policy set aside....it's just wrong. What if I were a single mom? Or just single and needed this job to survive? Then what? How does one go to work when they have the flu? I'd been told in the past that I needed to 'save' my sick days. I get like five a year. You know what? Not worth talking about!

You know what is worth talking about?

This Pot Roast. Oh my. This is my secret plan. This is my job security. The recipe will follow at the end of the post. It's from an Amish cookbook. Secret ingredient? Coffee. I figure if I keep putting meals like this on the table....I won't get fired from 'this' job!

Here's another yummy I made today, from the Pioneer Woman's website. It's that Cast Iron Apple Skillet cake. It was 'good'. Not three sticks of butter good. It was a pretty cake, very rustic. This isn't a very good picture of it. Doesn't really do it justice. Aaron loved it, ate almost half of it.


Made some Banana Walnut bread today. It's a new recipe, from my Garden Club cookbook. It has vinegar in it. The proof will be what it tastes like tomorrow. If'n it's good, I'll share the recipe.

After school was over, we went out and power washed the Happy Squirrel. Oh how I love the Squirrel. I worked on the east side of the house, power washed it, worked on the garden there. How I've neglected that side of the house. I was gonna show you, but, then I'd have to kill you, and I like you too much for that.

While dessert was baking, I sat on the couch and closed my eyes. This is new. A nap in the afternoon. I had a hard time keeping my eyes open. I loved the way the sun was coming in the window. I just dozed off and the oven timer went off!


It's just after 7pm, and I'm putting up the chickens and heading to bed. What cost me my job in the first place (being sick), I'm still not over.

Thanks SO much for all of your kind, thoughtful, encouraging comments! I had no idea I had so many readers!! I'll try to make this much more interesting from now on. :-)

Job Security Pot Roast

3# chuck roast
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup coffee
2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 onions, sliced

Preheat oven to 300. Do not pound or flour the meat. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over high heat, then sear meat on both sides.

Meanwhile, in large roasting pan, combine the remaining ingredients (hold back one onion). Tranfer the browned meat to the roasting pan. Top with the second sliced onion. Cover and back for 4 hours, basting every hour with pan juices. You can add more coffee and soy sauce if needed.

I always add a generous portion of potatoes and some carrots in the last hour. I also thicken the juices with flour, and make a gravy before serving it. Just take out the meat and veggies, plate those, and put the pan on the stove, add about a 1/4 cup of flour, and simmer til bubbly and somewhat thick.

15 comments:

  1. oh my word!! you guys should enter your photos in contests!! they are always so beautifuol!! we should get together for coffee sometime!
    danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your job, but....you will be more busy now than ever :) enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pot roast sounds delicious, I'll have to try that. Just can't tell my "non coffee drinking family" that there's coffee in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I for one am enjoying you being home. :) Gorgeous pot roast! :) I still think you should collect squirrels and start a B & B with them. I think you totally have the personality and the skills to be fantastic at it! :) (Especially cooking skills! People would flock just to eat your cooking!) I thought it was interesting about their firing you for sick days and only giving 5 per year....I recently read something from the CDC about flu pandemic and recommending people stay home for AT LEAST 7 DAYS! Guess if that office gets hit they'll all get fired. :) LOL (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure proved yourself in the kitchen today. It all looks like "comfort food" to me. That is the best. I think your day sounded delightful.

    I really want to know what it means to "put up the chickens." Does that mean put them in a cage and to bed?

    Hope you sleep well tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That wasn't just a nap...it was a POWER NAP! That's what we call it around here. I try and get one before the kids come in from school.
    Love the pictures. That pot roast looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle...nice to see you here! Coffee is ALWAYS good!

    Anke...you'd NEVER know there was coffee in it!

    Hi Pieceful Bits! I'm starting to think a nap will be a regular thing now!

    Jennifer...I was JUST thinking about that yesterday. Where would the people go potty at though??

    Dogwood, I calli it 'putting up the chickens'...lol....it's just doing a head count, making sure they are all in the coop, and locking the door behind them. Stinking raccoons.

    Hiya Susan! I think I might have been asleep for three minutes...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Not three sticks of butter good." Love it. That is how I think too, is this really worth all this flour, etc...

    I'm going to try your bacon in the oven trick tommorrow morning. I even bought parchment paper! Never have done that before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks Soo good!! Power Naps Are WONDERFUL!!! It can be 5-20 minutes but it helps to finish the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okayyyyyyyyy, no job, that's good, now you can read after all the Yummy cooking, cleaning and a nap everyday!
    I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE not going to work outside this farm everyday. My flowers, veggie gardens, chickens, dogs, cattle, house cleaning, cooking, laundry, blogging, reading and writing are a full time job! Life is GOOD!
    I believe EVERYTHING happens for a reason that benifits us! You did nothing wrong to be fired, so God has a different plan for you girl! :) ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am catching up...I can't believe you were fired for being sick. What in the world were you supposed to do? Not fair, but also I always believe that everything happens for a reason. It sounds like you are enjoying your first day "off." You've certainly made me very hungry with all that food!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I love that your camper is set up all of the time. That is a fabulous idea. My kids would love it if they could play in ours ... why is it stashed away in the barn? I love this blog. It inspires me. You have impeccable style, indoors and on here! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jayme, I agree with the other gals. Everything happens for a reason. The BMV's loss is your families gain. I think you are entitled to be upset but with your great outlook on life I know you will persevere. Keep up the positive attitude! The roast looks delicious! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mama Hen....lol about the butter. That will be my gauge from now on.....hmmm..is it three sticks of butter good? :-) When you bake the bacon, be patient with it, sometimes it takes a while to crisp up. If you like it crisp that is.

    Tonia...I so wanted another nap today. I just never got around to it. :-(

    Carol...now maybe I'll make the time to read. I feel so calm and peaceful now being here at home. love it love it love it.

    Bella Della...always so nice to see you here. Thanks for your encouragement. I didn't cook a lick today! Leftovers!

    Jennifer...I love it set up all the time too! In the winter I put Christmas lights on it, and a wreath on the door. Last year I actually heated it up and had friends for dinner in it. Too fun. I love my Squirrel! Thanks for saying you like the blog. I really appreciate it. I'm glad you get something from it. I sure love yours too.

    Cynthia...thanks for stopping by! My family (and me) seem so happy that I'm home. Aaron is gastronomically delighted!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!