Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mother Wilma's Peach Crumb Cake


Allow me to introduce to you Wilma Imogene Keckler. She was my mom's younger sister. There is not enough free space on the Internet for me to profess my love for this woman. I hope to tell you more about her this winter, when time allows me to scan photos.

She is the mother to my cousin Jim, that I spoke of a few posts earlier. Everyone called her Jean. I called her Mother Wilma when I was goofing around with her. She'd hate it if she knew I titled this Mother Wilma's Peach Crumb Cake!

Isn't she beautiful?

When she passed away a couple of years ago, I went to spend some time in Missouri with my cousin Jim. He asked if there was anything I'd like. I now cherish her hand written recipes, and a few of her baking pans. Ultimate treasures to me. Jim even found a little journal that she kept where she jotted down the date, and how many eggs her hens layed that day. Priceless!




This is a delicious coffee cake type of cake. I'm imagining it would be just as good with apples, or blueberries. On days where I miss her terribly, which are often, I reach for one of her hand written recipes and I feel connected to her again, as I go through the same motions she went through when she made this cake. Food is a strong bond.

Here's the recipe:

Peach & Crumb Cake

1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg. yeast
2 Tbs. oleo (margarine..I use butter)
1/2 cup hot water
1 egg, at room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 T oleo
1 16 oz. can peaches (I used fresh)

Combine 1/2 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Add 2 T soft butter and water to dry ingredients. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Add egg and 1/2 cup of flour. Bean on high 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup flour to make a stiff batter. Spread in a 9" square pan. Combine remaining 1/4 cup flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in butter til crumbly. Sprinkle over cake. Arrange peach slices on top. Cover, let rise in a warm place, til doubled.

Bake at 400 degrees, 25 minutes or til done. (Mine baked about 35 minutes).

Glaze. It simply says 'glaze' which I love. I used about a cup of powdered sugar, a blob of vanilla, and enough milk to make it drizzalalalalbe. :-)

Let the glaze harden before cutting.

Best if eaten the same day.

12 comments:

  1. I've been wanting Aunt Jean's peach crumb cake recipe, and am deeelighted to get it at last! You do her proud, Jayme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, can't wait to try out the recipe.
    Beautiful picture of your beloved Aunt Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful! And beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found you from another blog. You are not that far from me ... Highland.

    Cute blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayme,what a wonderful tribute to a loved one. I just might give in and try the recipe. lol She was a beautiful woman. That must be where you and Jim gets your looks from. I'm thinking that's a "pin curl" hair-do too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a lovely beautiful lady. How nice that you were so close to her and loved her so much. Thanks for sharing such a special recipe!
    Look yummy. Have a nice evening. Dogwood

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see the familial resemblance between your Aunt Jean and your mom. I so adored your mother.

    I can still picture her moms hands...reddened from cleaning, doing dishes, scrubbing floors...clothes...children... That tiny basement flat was always immaculate...you could eat off that kitchen floor.

    Most of all, I remember her wedding band. Plain, wide and worn thin from time and hard work. To me, the condition of that ring symbolized decades of love, self sacrifice and devotion to her family and husband. It was the physical personification of a life well lived.

    When Gene and I shopped for wedding rings, I searched in vain for one like your mother wore...to no avail. It, like her, was one of a kind. Thoughts of her bring tears to my eyes...in a good way. I'm one of those 'Five People' she'll meet in heaven one day.

    Thanks for the memories...both sharing yours...and jogging mine.

    Til next time...
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sparky, I do hope you try it. It's soooo good fresh from the oven.

    Hunter's Wife! Welcome....we are pretty close. It's such a small world!

    Peggy...oh my goodness. You've left me speechless. I can't even really comment right now, my heart has been so touched. I've always known my mom was a one in a million, to hear your memories of her....thank you. It was planned that I would receive her wedding band. I too loved that ring. It was stolen from her in the hospital one time, while she was away for surgery. We were all so heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's just beautiful ... and so is she and so are you. You know what really matters and many people do not. Thanks for sharing her story ... and recipe. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Flower Patch Farmgirl...
    You know it's an old recipe when you see 'oleo'...do they even make that anymore??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!