Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Discombobulation


I must say I still feel a little discombobulated since my new life found me. I'm not used to not rushing, not feeling stressed and not watching the clock. I could really get used to this.

This post is a bit discombobulated, well, cause I am. We just returned from a little camping trip yesterday.

I'm not even sure what I want to blog about. Bear with me for a day or two.

When push comes to shove, there's always bacon. Welch's Stop & Shop is now using my likeness on their packaging. I still don't get a discount though.

And then there's this chicken. I so think this is a dude. I'm just getting that vibe. Gosh I wish chickens had visible genitals. I'm sorry...I know that is crude. I just hate this waiting game. Is it gonna crow or lay an egg.....?


And there's something about the way these two look at that black chicken. Aunt PittyPat and Scarlett. They were talking about the latest episode of 'Project Runway' when I interrupted them with the camera. They are always whispering and looking at that black chicken.


The sunset tonight was beautiful. Gorgeous fall colors to welcome in the new season. I have time to breathe now, and I'm trying to really notice things like this. So fleeting.

I also wanted to talk about homeschooling a bit. Even if you aren't homeschooling your children, you might find this interesting. It's from Home and Health, dated 1907. I find it totally relevant for today as well.

What Children Should Be Taught

  • To cook plain wholesome food
  • To care for his or her own room
  • That it is better to be useful than ornamental
  • That the old rule, 'A place for everything and everything in its place' is a good one
  • That he or she should dress for health and comfort as well as for appearance
  • To respect gray hairs
  • To be gentle
  • To be courteous
  • To be prompt
  • To be industrious
  • To be truthful
  • To be thoughtful and attentive
  • To do all kinds of housework
  • To earn money and to take care of it
  • To be neat and orderly in his or her habits and appearance
  • To be self-reliant

I just love that, so we are incorporating it into our curriculum this year. Aaron is learning to cook. He's actually pretty good at it, and he is interested in it...which helps a GREAT deal.

Roast Chicken 101:

He learned the difference between fryers and roasters. What temperature the oven should be set at, what the internal temperature of the bird should be when done, and how to tell it's done if you don't have a thermometer. Now...please tell me you all know that. Are you really gonna let a 13 year old punk beat you? There was a quiz the next day, and he passed with flying colors.






I don't know about you, but I think the little bugger looks pretty pleased with himself.

16 comments:

  1. Roast chicken is always right. And what's the secret to knowing when it's done? (I'm a dunce.) I don't do the thermometer thing, either. I just take it out when it looks done and if it's not done, I put it back in... ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What on earth is that white wire thing going into the oven? Please tell me he didn't lose an Ipod earphone thinky over this lesson. :) LOL He is such a doll! And I absolutely love that list of things to teach kids. I already want to print it out and hang it all over the place! Discombobulated is such an interesting word. Honestly, for some reason it makes me think 'serial killer'...like 'The killer discombobulated the bodies...". Morbid, I KNOW!!! :) ROFLMAO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is so cool that Aaron is into learning how to cook. Noah is somewhat. He loves watching Food Network, and wants the whole Alton Brown on DVD for Christmas. I am going to try the pumpkin scones. We are HUGE pumpkin scones fans, and I have a yummy recipe for blueberry lime ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poultry 170 F held at temp for 15 seconds.
    I better know that one;)
    I really like that list!!! Should teach it in public schools too especially the respecting gray hairs even if they are covered with blonde!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Discombobulated is one of my favorite words and I use it all the time. I've been discombobulated all day. You totally get me- LOL! That chicken is totally a dude. Totally. And speaking of dudes, Aaron is definitely one cool dude. I love a man that can cook! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK~you are the greatest. Love your post. Your chickens are fun. Love their interaction through your eyes! You make me laugh.

    OK...I love the school 1907 list of "what chidren should be taught." Oh, and those phots of Aaron. They are wonderful. What fun seeing his happy/proud face...that smile is so fabulous! I adore that he is learning how to cook.

    My three grandchildren have been home schooled part-time. My oldest is a junior at the U of Hawaii and doing so well with his college studies. My granddaughter is a senior in high school. She is completing her education at an elite computer school and so self motivated and straight A. She will be going to college next year. The youngest is still home schooled and LOVES school!!!! He has such a curious mind!!! All three are very social and also know how to cook. Home schooling is not for all children but many children really excel with it then in the traditional classroom. And, you sound like one of those excellent home school educators.

    Happy evening to you. Dogwood

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Way to go Aaron! I check to see if the juices run clear to know if my chicken is done along with timing it.
    I think he should get a A+ for that lesson.

    Love the list. My boys are better cooks than my daughter. My daughter thinks cooking is done with a telephone.:)

    Hope you had a wonderful camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The list is great, I might have to print it out and hang it in our kitchen. We don't home school, but I feel it still applies. Good for Aaron, he did a great job. It's wonderful he's interested in cooking and you are taking the time teaching him. My oldest is interested in cooking and my youngest in baking. Funny how that worked out...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are great pictures of Aaron! And it looks like you are doing a great job teaching him to cook. What are little round things the chicken is on in the pan?

    Love your chickens stories Jayme! All of our chickens are gone, except for our special chicken Pearl. Something got into our hen house and killed them. It was tragic around here. We'll get more this spring though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Flower Patch Farmgirl! You need to make sure the juices are running clear, and the drumstick moves easily. :-)

    Hey Jennifer! That is the thermometer that stays attached to the chicken, and has the read out on the outside...you totally need one! Can't live without it!

    Debby...I'd love to see some pics of the boys. So cool that Noah likes Alton Brown. I actually met him and have his signature in his cookbook, got my pic with him. I have a bit of a crush on him.

    Piecefulbits....you'd better know that...lol...I can see a lot of sick kids!

    Bella Della...you totally crack me up. I love discombobulated. You think it's a dude too huh? I just so think he's a rooster. I wouldn't mind ONE.

    Dogwood, you are just so danged sweet. Thanks for your comments. I appreciate them so much!

    Hi Susan! Hi Anke....I love it to see kids interested in cooking. I think they are better eaters that way. Aaron loves trying new food.

    Hey MamaHen...those are onion slices. They impart a nice flavor into the chickens, plus raise it up a bit so it's not 'stewing in it's own juices' so to speak! I'm so sad to hear about your chickens. Oh my, I'm not sure what I'd do if something happened to my girls. It wouldn't be pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear newest friend Jayme!
    You are my hero! I homeschooled my 3 kids (now all grown and earning moola) and my kitchen NEVER NEVER NEVER looked as clean and organized as yours! 2 out of the 3 kids will cook when push comes to shove,or they want to impress a new love interest, the other will just be hungry till he can call Dominos. sigh.
    And re:Chicken massacre of 09, must be something in the alignment of feather stars...we too lost all our flock but 2 sad little girls this week to an unidentified poultry snacker.
    We live in southern IN but all my kin is in Crown Point. And,(doing the Twilight Zone music) my cousin Leanna worked for DMV there till last year....
    Keep on making me smile every morning! Love it!
    Queenbuffness

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Queenbuffness....
    You sure have me interested here....your name....are you very fit? And I knew LeeAnn! I'm SO sorry to hear about your chickens. Southern IN is so beautiful...I'd love to pick your brain about homechooling....did you homeschool through highschool?

    ReplyDelete
  13. No I'm most certainly NOT fit! But dearhubby named me that as I AM Queen of known universe. You can pick my poor little dented brain anytime!! I loved schooling (confession time-glad I'm done). Leeanns married to my cousin! All my fam is in CP 'cept us. We left to make a living down south, Seymour, the best kept secret in America, about 15 years ago. But that's still the hometown. You can pick my poor little dented brain anytime!! I loved schooling (confession time-glad I'm done).Yes, I taught through highschool except I caved and let the oldest two do their senior year & graduate from private and quite horrible little school here. Still kicking myself.But our youngest son we got to keep from K-12. My sis lives in CP and HS's all 6 of hers from start to finish!! What a woman. Come to think of it, she's the one who sent me your link!! If I click the subscribe by email button can I email you my own e-addy or does that just go to your blog? That way you can ask away!! Plus, you look so doggone familiar it's makin me crazy-er. Hubby thought so too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah, and here's my blog sight. Nowhere near as cute and well done as yours but I have fun!!

    http://queenbuffness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tell Aaron I think he's gonna be a real lady killer... He has his mom's smile! (and without the braces!) Do you remember Cindy's worry when she first got her braces? That she couldn't go swimming anymore or they would rust!!! *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful journey and experience!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!