Saturday, September 19, 2009

Pumpkin Scones

Remember my affection for scones? This recipe has made it a full blown love affair. The epitome of fall. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor, and make these soon! You won't be sorry.

It's a recipe that I picked up from RecipeZaar.

Here ya go:

SCONES

POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE

SPICED GLAZE

Directions

  1. 1
    TO MAKE THE SCONES:.
  2. 2
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
  3. 3
    Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Using a pastry knife, fork, or food processor, cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter are obvious. Set aside.
  4. 4
    In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, half and half, and egg. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Form the dough into a ball.
  5. 5
    Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle (about 9 inches long and 3 inches wide). Use a large knife or a pizza cutter to slice the dough twice through the width, making three equal portions. Cut those three slices diagonally so that you have 6 triangular slices of dough. Place on prepared baking sheet.
  6. 6
    Bake for 14–16 minutes. Scones should begin to turn light brown. Place on wire rack to cool.
  7. 7
    TO MAKE THE PLAIN GLAZE:.
  8. 8
    Mix the powdered sugar and 2 tbsp milk together until smooth.
  9. 9
    When scones are cool, use a brush to paint plain glaze over the top of each scone.
  10. 10
    AS THAT WHITE GLAZE FIRMS UP, MAKE THE SPICED ICING:.
  11. 11
    Combine the ingredient for the spiced icing together. Drizzle this thicker icing over each scone and allow the icing to dry before serving (at least 1 hour). A squirt bottle works great for this, or you can drizzle with a whisk.
My notes: I was really concerned when making them that there wasn't enough 'wet' to dry ingredients. I was concerned that in order to mix it all together I would make them tough by overmixing them. I just gently kept working the dough til the flour mixture was incorporated.

I just really can't describe how lovely these were.

Until next time.....

Have a fabulous weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love scones too! AND I have been having a craving for something "pumpkin". It must be the northerly breeze and below 90 degree weather we have been having. I will definitly have to give these a try.
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made scones, but these look delicious and the recipe seems very easy. Might have to try these tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy, yummy, also how about recipe for banana nut bread with vinegar. From your number one fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jayme Girl,

    Not only do the scones look great but how lovely on that there leaf dish! You know me and leaves. I love it. Hope your feeling better, Ta and I are a bit better, thanks for your prayers and concern for us. Love ya, and you know who your biggest fan is...since I'm the president of the club. Except no impostors. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I want one right now to go with my coffee:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK~I do not do too much baking or cooking for that matter but I am definitely going to make those scones. They look yummy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey All! Thanks for the comments. I'm just back in town, so I'll be catching up here, hopefully later today!

    I do hope you make the scones. Aaron and Glenco keep asking for more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jayme, I need a chicken lesson apparently...since a "dude" chicken would be a rooster (right?) How do you not know he's a rooster, don't they look different? Love your stories though. Jeanie told me that if there is a rooster around that the eggs would be fertilized and you would have babie chickens instead of "eggs", ah? I am intrigued! =)
    Also, I have no idea how to tell if a chicken is done without taking it's temp...share please! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Tina Darling, a dude chicken is a rooster....:-) If there is a rooster around, the eggs may be fertilized, and if the chickens go 'broody', they will sit on the eggs, and then I will have babies!!! I am starting to hope that I will. One can never have too many chicken birds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!