Thursday, August 6, 2009

Farmgirl Saturday Cake


After yesterdays creepy topic, I thought we could all use a nice change of pace!

I know it's only Thursday, and I'm posting a cake called 'Saturday', but I wanted you to have this in time to make it this Saturday. :-) I've no idea why it's called a Saturday cake. Maybe cause it's so quick and easy, you don't mind making it on the weekend?

This cake was quite delicious. The recipe called for blueberries, but I used raspberries, because I'd just picked some. It lasted for a few days and tasted delicious even on the last day.

VERY QUICK! VERY DELICIOUS!

This recipe is from 'Lovin' the Farmgirl Life' by MaryJane Butters

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
t teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
1 cup of buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup of butter, melted
2 cups blueberries (or any other fresh or partially frozen berry)

Topping:
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon of butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.

Mix all dry ingredients together. (except topping ingredients). In a separate bowl, mix melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla and the egg together.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry, and stir until blended. Fold in the berries.

Mix topping ingredients together with a pastry blender (or your fingers!) and sprinkle on top of the batter.

Bake about 30 -35 minutes.


5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I may just make that one this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I may have to try that - and I have blueberries. Yippee! :) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jayme Jo,
    My beloved friend, we just came home from seeing, Julie and Julia, your gonna love it. I mean love it. My heart ached that you weren't there. See it as soon as possible, you'll enjoy it, esp. with you also having a blog now. Let me know whatcha think. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jayme Girl,
    just wanted to report to you that we went in to the east side today and I made you farmgirl sat cake for my folks. Dad has been asking for a coffee cake and he just loves it. I feed him one piece and he asked for another one. Mom just called and said she just asked him if he wanted anything and he asked for another piece of coffee cake with ice cream.
    Thanks for the very delicous recipe, now I will have to make another one for Shorty for home.
    very simple and very easy !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it so delicious and easy!? I made it with blackberries. Oh My Goodness. Glad to hear that you made it and liked it. It's a keeper for sure!

    Rhon...I can't WAIT to see that movie. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!