Friday, April 17, 2009

Meet My Nephew



I told him I'd interview him for the blog, to give people HIS perspective of homeschooling. So many people have so many opinions about it. It's not for everyone, I'm sure of that. It's harder than you think, and easier than you'd think. I know that makes no sense, but, well, if you are a homeschooler, it will.

Aaron LOVES it. My sister says that his mood at home has really improved. What prompted me to homeschool you ask? Well. I'd wanted to do it from the starting gate, but 'we' (my sis and I) thought he needed to go to school, being an only child and all, you know, the 'socialization'. He's really involved with his youth group at church, and he has a lot of friends from previous years schooling, so that seems covered now. He struggled in school, and just didn't seem to get the help he needed. He's flourishing now with homeschool, and his self confidence has sky rocketed.



Today we had school at the local library. We rode our bikes up there, it's about a 7 mile trip each way. School at the library proved tough for him. He was involved in everything going on in that place! I never knew the ho-dunk library in Crown Point Indiana was such a hub of activity at 10am on a weekday. I'm sure that he was aware of what everyone in the place was up to. He doesn't miss a thing and can hear like a dog. Two old ladies fighting over the copy machine. An apparent Alzheimer escapee reading the daily newspaper. A hippie with a baby. That one CRACKED me up. This guy's hair was down past his shoulders, and his little boy babies hair was the same. The nut didn't fall far from the tree.

For lunch we rode our bikes up to Starbucks for lunch. Not the GREATEST lunch food, but a nice atmosphere. We'd planned on finishing up Language Arts there, but it proved a bit too distracting for Aaron, the music, the customers, the frother, etc.

We pedaled on home and finished up the day.

Of course I worry alot homeschooling. Worry if I'm teaching him correctly. Worry if he's truly happy. I worry if he'll miss going to prom. I worry that he'll be a sheltered freak when he finally gets out in 'the real world'. Time will tell.

For now, for us. It's a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. I just found you and am so happy I did! I'm enjoying your posts and appreciate your willingness to "keep it real" :)

    This is a particularly interesting post to find because I have offered to home school my first-grader nephew as of ASAP. I homeschooled my now-adult daughters in high school but but have never schooled a little one, but it's feeling right for a myriad of reasons. Happening upon another aunt schooling her nephew gives me an "atta girl" kind of feeling this morning, ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!