Tuesday, June 8, 2010

32 Days and Counting -



32 more days until the Garden Walk.

This is where you'll find me most days from 5am til 8pm.
Of course I take time in between there to teach Aaron.
We've started Physics of all things.

'All motion is relative'

If it rains I take time to clean and cook.
Glenco likes rainy days.

I try to stick to my routine, but sometimes, it's just impossible.
I've had a lot of drop in company - and guess what - I've not cared!

The garden is coming along pretty good. There are certain things you have no control over - like the weather - or the comfrey patch deciding to flop over - or a maple branch falling and breaking down a section of tall perennials.

I vacillate between freaking out, thinking it looks great, and just not caring.
If I could just find a happy medium there.

Truthfully, I think it's looking 'ok'. I'm not feeling GREAT about it, but I'm learning that there are more important things in life to worry about.

In 32 days I'll begin to worry about those things.


There's been an awful lot of carnage here at The Coop.

Last Sunday, in a freakish downpour, all seven of my guinea babies drowned.
Luckily, Glenco was the one that found them, so I don't have that image burned in my head.
It's all too much to type - how it happened.
I bawled like my best friend had died.
I'm not sure why I took it so hard, I think it was just the thought of how they died.

We had a bit of Pasty Butt on the babies.
Lady Gaga passed away from it.
This un-named Polish baby survived it.

I've been doing things like this:

And this:
Just look at that chicken's face.
It speaks volumes!


I actually inserted a mineral oil soaked Q-tip up the baby birds vent.
Anyone that knows me, knows how difficult this was for me.
Glenco hit his head on a tree branch last week - and needed me to see if 'there was a flap' that needed stitches.
My butt puckered up and I almost fainted.
For real.

I'm actually a little light-headed just typing about it.

I'm not sure what it is about carrying baby birds in my bra that I enjoy so much.
It's like having a little company with you at all times.
I've not been pooped on yet.
They like it in there.
Perhaps I should try incubating a few?


Whilst the chickens suffered from Pasty Butt, I have suffered from Pastry Butt (see second photo in post) It's a debilitating disease.
Good news is I've lost ten pounds.

I can no longer bear the moniker "Bee Whisperer"
I've been stung.
Twice.
It hurt.
Bad.
Bees are frightening.

Here they are conspiring how they are going to get me next time.
I just know it!


The ducks fly all over the place now. What I thought were two females, have turned out to be a male and female. I didn't realize that the male's feathers color up later, after they are a few months old.
It's funny to see them fly around the yard.
They still come up to the house every night and follow me out to their pen.
I adore them.
I adore Paula Deen too, but that's another post.

So, now I call them Maude and Claude.

Maude went missing the other day, breaking my heart, as well as Claude's.
She returned.
Such a relief.
I thought perhaps another drake had won her heart, and she flew off into the sunset with the scoundrel.
Poor Claude would be a widower for the rest of his life.

Luckily she came to her senses, and returned to her soul mate.

Bun Bun, the rabbit - is trying my patience. I gave her a huge fenced in area - even planted raspberries for her to nibble on - and the darned thing is trying to dig her way out!
Why can't she just be content?
I think she could ask me the same questions.
Touche' Bun Bun - touche'.

My chickens are still fabulous, and entertaining me so much.
Fifi - went broody - for one day!
I was so proud of her, and sooooo excited - planning a baby shower and everything - I mean, I was EXCITED! I hope this means that she's going to go broody soon. Perhaps I should make a nest of golf balls to get one of those stinkin' hens to set.

All in all, life is really fabulous - just busier than I'd like it to be - but guess who's in control of that?
Me.
How I spend my time is one of the few things I can control.

I count my blessings, and just try not to think about the other things.
Like anyone, I have my share of ups and downs.

I've come to realize that I'm easily overwhelmed, and that I worry a lot.

I've not visited one dang blog in weeks - I'm sorry.

32 days.

Then I'll sit with my feet up and drink sweet tea.

Until I can plan my next scheme -which I'll be sure to tell you all about.

We are still having fun on Facebook.
I pop in there for a few minutes a day, and it's been so fun interacting with you all.
Right now it's the best way to contact me if you have any questions.

If you haven't joined us yet - take a gander


By the way - all of these photos were taken by Aaron.
He's still blogging over at Pixel Perfect.

Thanks for all of your comments and emails.
I really do miss you all!

32 days

21 comments:

  1. The pics are AWESOME. Aaron did a great job. wow.

    You are one busy...but content...lady.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron's pics are awesome and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the pics- is that just w/photo shop or? I have SO much to learn! You have such an exciting life, there on the farm...something always happening. So many personalities to manage...like your own little soap opera on a daily basis and you are the director...lights, camera, ACTION!
    xo, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the chick and the bees...but I'm
    ready for a condo...too much work in the garden today!

    diannei

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww. You's a busy lady.
    Been missin all the fun and laughs you bring our way...but then again. You DO have a life beyond Blogger Ville. Everything looks great, well except that Pasty butt, and I don't even know what that is!!!Never had it with our chicks.... but sounds downright AWFUL!!! and as for Pastry butt..lol...Okay let me pick myself up off the floor first...
    Now KUDOS girl for that 10 pounds, wish I could come right back at ya and say ME TOO!!! NOT.
    Well, if ewe's not the Bee whisperer...are yous the Bee Screamer?????? Whimperer???
    Wailer???? I am so sorry you got stung. Hang in there, and show them who's boss. Smoke em til they drop and give you 50 (honeycombs, that is....not pushups)
    Sorry about your baby guineas.... sniff.....Maybe bun bun just wants company?????? um.....you know how they always just like to have lots and lots of kids....
    Well this is too long, but I haven't talked to you in so long. And I told Aaron today I loved the little Altoid tin. so cute...Your idea?????? :-) Hugs to you.
    Everything is beautiful! Good to hear a peep from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jayme, if I hadn't been through all the things you have, it wouldn't be as funny. Aaron's pics are great and physics? It was my hardest subject. How'd you like to clean a hen's pasty butt? And, lastly, how did you lose the 10?

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO good to have a post from you, my friend! The pics are wonderful...that Aaron is something else with the camera!

    32 days...I remember when some of the highlights of my summer were 32 days away. Now some of them are gone...but they've left behind some wonderful memories tucked away in my heart so when I'm having to stay inside to do housework instead of being outside working in the flowers I can pull out a memory or two to make the day go better.

    Glad you are back and glad Glenco reaped the benefits of a rainy day!

    Love ya, Girl friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have been dealing with the pasty bottom also here. Not fun for the chicks or for me. And one had a prolasped oviduct and I had to insert Prep H into her vent with this weird little applicator. I actually thought, "I spent more on the Prep H than I did this chicken and why am I doing this?" But I just can't help it. I love them so.

    Missed you, I have been waiting for an update. Don't wait so long next time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post...sorry about the guinea babies, etc. I feel your pain, believe me. Glad all is well, otherwise. One word of advice from a fellow beekeeper....get a really good suit...you will never suffer a sting. If you want to know where, let me know I can give you the info.

    Hugs to you,
    bev
    beehavenacres

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are like all of the other Type A people in the world, we envision a time when things will slow down so that we can enjoy them...but it never happens! I love visiting the Coop on Facebook, get to visit with lots of people who are like-minded (chicken-lovers). Arron did a bang up job on the pictures, as usual! From what I can see the garden looks ready right now for a garden tour. Oh yes, congrats on losing 10 pounds, probably the hardest work of all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good to see a post from you Jayme! I am glad you are well and just staying busy. I could use your gardening expertise with the pitifully ugly shaded yard here at the rental. I've got to get something going with it. I look forward to your life settling down a bit and hearing more from you. I've decided to take the month of July off and just enjoy life. We'll see if I can stick to it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aaron has a lot of natural talent. He's a great photographer. I'm a photographer and I teach photography and if he were my student I can assure you he'd be getting all A's. Keep it up, Aaron!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a month to get ready too! It's a frighteningly short amount of time.
    Oh, Jayme...make sure your bunny doesn't escape! I've heard they can nibble a garden away in no time. I have many garden pests, but thankfully not bunnies.
    We are going to need our own photo garden walk - I so wish I could see it. I'm sure it's gorgeous.
    So sorry about your carnage. Poor babies. Country life has its price.
    Garden on, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. About your duckie....she may be laying in preparation for setting her eggs....you may have to scour the weedy patches or tall grass around the area...duck eggs don't have to be kept warm until she's layed enough to set on...then the time starts. Hope she comes around with a 'clutch' 'passel' 'quack' 'wing ''whatever a bunch of ducklets is called. If you have wild animals around or even dogs you may need to move her to a 'sanctuary' of her own. Good luck. No garden tour next year, I bet. B.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Aarons pictures. You do such a good job gardening and keeping your chickens. I wish you were my neighbor so I could learn from you. Good luck with getting ready on time.
    Konnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoy your posts! Thank you, thank you! Your garden is GORGEOUS! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gee-willikers (spelling?) It's so good to hear from you. You have been busy. The photos look lovely, sorry to hear about the baby guinea pigs, how awful. The vision is too much to think of. Gardens have a personality all their own. Mine, if it doesn't behave itself, gets rearranged, staked up, or dug up. I am so persnickety about plants behaving themselves. Be easy on yourself even if we think something doesn't look right to our eyes, like our garden, others may not see it that way. Gardens in and of themselves are always beautiful.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dang it Coop...your chicks are cute!!....I am sorry to hear of the loss-es...and FYI....I want your camper

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, so much is happening in your life and yard. I know your garden is beautiful...really beautiful. Such fun photos. You are the greatest and I love reading your blog. It makes me laugh, smile, get tears in my eyes and even want to get in the car and drive over to meet you in person! Hugs, Cory

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww, I am so sorry about your chicks. I cried like crazy when I lost one of mine to the pasty butt. Sooo sorry. Your garden it looking superb! I think you need to visit me and bring along some starts and some ideas to bring mine around. Indiana bound next week to visit my people. Cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE that necklace! Where did you get it?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!