Monday, December 8, 2014

Out on a Whim -



It never ceases to amaze me that y'all are still here.
I blog once in a coon's age, and yet - I see familiar faces commenting, and the balm it is to my soul is hard to put into words.

'Thank you' doesn't cut it.

I thought it high time for another 'check in' and 'what's Jayme up to now?' post.

I would love to tell you that I'm sitting here at 11:31 in the am, nicely dressed, drinking a spot of gingerbread tea, the house bedecked for Christmas.

I'd love to tell you that I thought I'd pop on and blog whilst I waited for the oven timer to ding on my 4th batch of Mexican Wedding Cake cookies that I'll be tinning up and sending overseas to the troops.

I'd love to tell you that I've been busy boxing up gifts for the homeless and 
sewing quilts for neo-natal units.

I'm embarrassed to tell you that I sit here in mismatched pj's and that I had crackers for 
breakfast this morning.

I'm embarrassed to tell you that I have rotting pumpkins and mum skeletons flanking my front door.

In the words of the infamous Janie Fox - 
I can't care.

But I do care, and I'm faking saying I don't care.

What has kept me from decking the halls and cooking meals?

I have a good reason.

Since my last blog post - I haven't had a day off til this very moment...and it's not really a day off.
It's a day of laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning and nesting.

I had to laugh at myself as I was dusting the houseplants this morning in my mis-matched pj's - while the laundry is piled to my thigh.

I.just.needed.to.nest.

I've no idea how to explain this recent development to you - other than to just jump in and tell you.




I started a marshmallow business.

I know.
I'm as shocked as you are.

How did this happen?

I'll tell you.


That girl.

Her name is Carey.  She's the kind of woman you meet, fall in love with, and walk away from feeling like you can conquer the world and have fun while you are doing it. She runs the coolest antique store in town, and organizes these pop up markets here in Crown Point called 'Hunt and Gather'. She was my manager when I worked at Pier One - a lifetime ago.

I attended  'Hunt and Gather' for the first time this past summer - and was electrified by the creativity, originality and the vibe I felt there.  I told her how awesome it was,
 and what a great energy it had to it.

She told me she wanted me as a vendor - to figure it out.

: -)

I hemmed and hawed, and hawed and hemmed, and thought - hmm...what could I do? As we all know, I'm good at many things, but none generate much of an income. I thought I would mainly do it just for the fun of it all, if I broke even, that would even be more fun.

So then I thought, I thought,  'well Jayme, everyone likes the marshmallows you make at Christmas'.

This market was the end of November, so I thought it would be a fitting choice.

So - I began experimenting with my marshmallow recipe, and started coming up with ideas, and the next thing I knew - I had marshmallows in and on every surface of my house.

Because of my 'last minute', over book myself',' this shan't take that long' - kind of attitude, I basically had three days left in my schedule to pull off a vendor booth at this Hunt and Gather.

I worked around the clock for three days, making the product, figuring out a display - etc.

Let me just interject that this entire time the voices in my head were telling me that I was an idiot.

I nearly called Carey on 83 different occasions to tell her I changed my mind, but it was important to me to follow through.

So I did.



Guess what?
I.had.a.flipping.ball.
Flat sold out.



Since November 20th - it has been an absolute blur of marshmallows, the health department, commercial kitchen rentals, and doing two other venues. I've worked 12 to 16 hours a day for the last week.  Glenco took vacation time and helped.  I did two more shows this weekend.



It's fun to see people's eyes roll back in their heads when they taste them.
"I don't even like marshmallows, but these are awesome!"
"This is so Shark Tank-able!" one gal exclaimed.



I woke up this morning to emails of people wanting more.

I'm already booked for some shows next year, the first being the end of January.
I have more flavor ideas than I have hairs on my head.

I'm obsessed with display ideas and marketing.
Just this morning, I sent an email to Indianapolis about getting a wholesale permit, as I have shops asking for the mallows.

What in the world?

It's quite possibly the craziest thing I've done.

So that my friends, is why I have no signs of Christmas up here in the house.
It's why my hands are so swollen right now that it's hard to type.
It's why I have on mismatched pajamas at what is now officially the afternoon.

Today I restore the house.
Tomorrow I deliver mallow orders.
Wednesday is a cleaning job.

Thursday I leave for Missouri for a few days to see my sister honored as 'Guardian of the Year' from ARC of the Ozarks, the organization that worked with my sister Vivian.

Life is good.
Aaron got his dream job at a salon in the Lincoln Park area of Chicago.
Glenco is healthy and happy - and so very supportive of the mallow mania.

wouldn't stay still long enough for a photo!

I do believe I will be selling them through Etsy soon - and if you are really really interested in the mallows - what they are all about, flavors and all - you can drop me an email at:

MeltArtisanMallows@gmail.com.

or leave me your email in the comments, and I'll contact you.
I won't be shipping orders after the first of next week.
I reallllllly need to take my fall decor down.
: -)

I didn't want to come back and blog - and make it seem like an advertisement for the mallows - I just wanted to give you all an update.

Please remember - we are all capable of more than we'd ever imagine.
You never know what's waiting around the corner of your life.




75 comments:

  1. This is awesome Jayme!! I'm sure your mallows taste fabulous! I've always wanted to make them. Maybe I will now. :) Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina, give it a try! Just make sure you have stand mixer, I can't imagine doing it without one. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I always knew you were never a bunch of fluff... always, the real deal! And all those lip-smacking flavors...wow!!

    Congratulations! and Blessings in this as you move forward. I love homemade marshmallows. Never tried making them myself, though.

    You amaze me!! Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sweet Bev - I amaze myself at times..lol. I feel proud of how hard I've worked the last month. I seriously need a rest - but I've just realized how hard people out there are working towards dreams and goals - sometimes it's easy to forget that, you know?

      Delete
  3. I've been waiting and waiting for the long promised update :) You are amazing woman! But more than that- you sound happy- and focused! I desperately needed to hear your message at the end- there are surprises waiting for us around every corner- look at you going out there and grabbing this one! My hero!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darlin! You are my hero - so there ya go. I love how we as women can inspire, encourage and uplift one another. xo

      Delete
  4. How fantastic and fun! You amaze me at your will and stamina at pursuing an idea :-). I think I'm going to have to re-read this post when the time comes for Hubby and I to move to our new farm in Kentucky and come up with an idea that we can work on together at home while getting the farm up and running. You're such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited about your upcoming move Suzi. That's not toooooo terribly far from me. : -) Thanks for your encouragement, I so appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. Great Job ! Congratz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! And, yes, it is a Shark Tank gig and make sure Barbara is on there. And, give the men all samples. They'll continue to devour and Barbara will invest. I'm so happy for you and it sounds like now you've got it. mysouthwestramblings@yahoo.com Would love to know more about the "Mallow." As, I love marshmallows. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine seeing me on Shark Tank!? "I'm looking for $300,000 for a 10% equity in my company." I love that show! I sent you an email with the mallow information. Thank you so much Joani. You are so kind.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the update Jayme. I was curious what was going on! Years ago I made some homemade marshmallows...they were awesome....also time consuming. The truth is out...I'm lazy! I'm soooo proud of you! (I was proud of you before, if truth be known). Thanks for taking some time out to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are time consuming, aren't they? Fun though. Well, at least for now.

      Delete
  8. I am so happy for you. I wish you great success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jayme I'm so proud of you...I just knew that there was something special about you when I did my google search of bloggers in Indiana and found you several years back...so happy I did!! Great job and yes I want some of your mallows :) ...reach me at justlindasue@hotmail.com when you have a minute ...love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda! You are too kind. Hoping you'll be rolling up this way soon with your camper...ok, well not too soon - it's stinking cold!

      Delete
  10. So happy to hear you are busy and doing well. Would love to try your marshmallows when things have settled down after the holidays.
    Good for you! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Mitzi - thanks so much for the well wishes. xo

      Delete
  11. well u go girl! always proud of you and doing wonderfully at whatever u set ur mind to>\!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coffee flavored marshmallows sound DEVINE, will be watching for the Etsy shop ;) Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Starbucks espresso in the coffee mallows! They are pretty good - thinking of doing a mocha too.

      Delete
  13. That is crazy cool!!! Will def order if you go Etsy! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peppermint 'mallows in my hot chocolate sounds heavenly!
    ~Patysue

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely adore you, Jayme! Thanks for the update! I'm not surprised you are up to your eyeballs in something adventurous! Best Wishes and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome Jayme. So cool!!! We need to visit when you have time. I would even help you decorate for Christmas. :)

    Tammy
    Cedar Lake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy! That would be awesome. I'm hoping to get the pumpkins in the compost by noon today. : -)

      Delete
  17. When we least expect . . . Oh my, . . . MALLOW WOW !
    Amazing you are . . . I am so excited for you.
    All the best . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping I don't burn myself out on this by January. : -) Although - right now I can't wait to get into the kitchen and make a honey (with my honey of course!) and lavender mallow.

      Delete
  18. What amazing news you've shared! Couldn't be happier for you! Looking forward to seeing your treats on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We wait and we wait and this is what we get!! I know it's always worth the wait! Sure hope you decide to do the etsy thing since I am in Texas and far from Carey and her Hunt and Gather shows. Congratulations to Aaron, too, on his new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) thanks so much! I know - I've just got to make blogging more of a priority. It's been such an odd year for me - not quite sure how to explain it -

      Delete
  20. Well... what do you know!! I just find delicious irony in the fact that you are having a blast and being very successful in a making sweet treat after you spent time trying to free yourself of evil sugar. I love it!! And the enthusiasm and energy you have about this venture is wonderful. Good for you!-Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn- I'm so glad you brought that up! I really struggled with that aspect of this. I at times feel like a drug dealer. : -) I've been wrestling food, food addiction, food abuse - as you all know. I no longer believe I'm a food 'addict' - proof that there is about 50lbs of marshmallows at my disposal and I have no desire to eat them. There's also ice cream in the fridge and it's safe, and I've been up early making gingerbread men for a customer, and I've no hankering to bite their heads off. Do I abuse food at times? You bet. Lately - I've been thinking that I, my own words and thoughts, have put myself in a prison with invisible bars - bars of limited beliefs about myself. I'll have to write about it sometime!

      Delete
  21. I speak from experience - stop and take a good look at your numbers. Better yet, have someone else look at your numbers. ARE YOU ACTUALLY MAKING MONEY or just spending a lot of time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Vickie, I'm crunching numbers like a fool. I think I'm okay for now. Many friends are telling me to raise my prices - after the holidays I'll really look at things - since many shops are requesting them, and they'd need wholesale prices. I did find a great deal on cane sugar (I won't use beet) - the downside? I need to order 50 - 50lb bags! lol!

      Delete
  22. OF COURSR this is what you're up to! I'm loving it, loving you, loving Glenco.
    Proud of you!!!
    Let's make 2015 a reunion year. I'll bring my apron.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is always ALWAYS great to see a blog post from you my friend. I feel as if I've received a personal letter from you!! I think of you so often, and pray for you. I am THRILLED to know you have a new venture. As soon as I hit "enter" on this comment I'm going to skip on over and check out your marshmallows!!! I simply MUST try them. Can you deliver to Missouri haha??? Keep on keepin' on girlfriend!!!! Your happiness and excitement comes through loud and clear in your blog post. And NO, I didn't think it was an advertisement at all!! And who cares if it was. ROCK THE MARSHMALLOWS JAYME!!!!!!! Blessings from Missouri!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Robbin! I'll be rolling through MO Thursday. I'll leave them at Mile Marker 145 on Interstate 44!

      Delete
  24. Oh my. I think I am in love. Marshmallows. I have sent an e-mail requesting the information. You are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! I got your order - it'll be going out today. Thank you!!!

      Delete
  25. You flipp'n amaze me!! I laughed out loud when you said "I started a marshmallow business"...I was so not expecting that..lol. You are truly amazing...I can't imagine having the confidence or energy to tackle such a project. There is no doubt that if you were on Shark Tank that they would love you to pieces!!! Your personality alone could make you rich!! Thank you for this update and yes I would LOVE to order some!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confidence? LOL....I'm glad it looks like I have it. I seriously loose sleep over worrying that there's a hair in the marshmallows! Thanks Lisa! xo

      Delete
  26. You Go Girl! Proud of you :) don't overwork yourself when it becomes no fun anymore......now I want to try them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have overworked myself! But...it's still fun. You know me, the minute it isn't fun, I'll quit. :-P

      Delete
  27. You are amazing! Can't wait to hear more!
    - Talia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Talia - I'm sure I'll be yakking about it soon. Developing a honey lavender mallow as we speak. : -)

      Delete
  28. Wow! You are amazing Jayme! Glad to hear of your new adventures and that you are happy. I would love info on your mellows. Would love to try them. mary@daviddouglas.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. So this is where you have been. I have not been on the computer much but when I do I always look you up to see what you are up too. I so envy your energy and drive. HOW awesome is this new adventure and is it not a wonderful feeling to know people want what you create.... Makes a body feel so special. Now, a flavor that would be heaven is .... you know how well chocolate and orange go together.... I make clementine powder (and other citric powders) and put a sprinkle of it in my hot chocolate... You can find clementine powder online at times but if you cant, get dried orange peel, grind it up to a fine powder then add it to some chocolate marshmallows. BET they will be a bomb... you can name them after me.....giggle....

    Its good you have a sweet helping hubby and he should be commended.

    I hope your new adventure soars and I too love Shark Tanks.... you will not need to go on that show to ask for them to invest, they will come looking for you with offers in hand.

    GOD bless you and keep you all safe. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awe Tammy - what a sweet sweet comment! (Orange and Chocolate are on my list!) - thank you so much...thanks for always checking in on me too. Don't be too envious of my energy - it ebbs and flows, just like anyone else's. I'm up at 3:30 with a bad cold - I've plum worn myself down. See? there's always a down side to running the ragged edge. : -)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I know, if you run yourself down the virus have easy access. Take care of you and cook up some chicken soup, you know it makes a body feel better. REST and drink plenty of fluids.

      Delete
  31. Oh my goodness, I just realized that my previous comment sounded like a criticism. Totally NOT what I was intending! I just meant that it is funny the directions our lives take us. I think you should go for it and it sounds like you are loving it. You seem like the sort of person who does well when she has a project or a purpose and if your purpose involves something sweet, then great!! I wish you all the best. (I have never had a home-made marshmallow - how do they differ from the regular store bought kind?) -Jenn (a fan!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn - I didn't take it that way at all! Please don't give it another thought. And yes, you are right - I do need a project at all times...lol. : ) As far as the difference - think about this - go to Aldi and get the $2 frozen pizza - and then go to your favorite pizza place, and get a deep dish - compare those two...that's the difference.

      Delete
  32. You are just amazing!! Hugs and positive wishes for you!!!

    jan

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats! When are the hunt & gather events? Never heard of it, are they at the fairgrounds? Sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kellie! The events are at the Fairgrounds, and the next one is coming up in March - I'll blog about it when I know exactly when!

      Delete
  34. I am so happy for you! What a blessing that has been given to you. Miss you blogging but thrilled things are going so well for you. God bless! donna.case@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are some 'serious amazing' Jayme -- it didn't surprise me one bit that you are exploding with excellence -- sincere admiration for all you've accomplished in the 'mallow world'.......and beyond!! :o)
    Blessings with a pinch of 'put your feet up if you can squeeze it in' TLC,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe shucks Barbara - thanks. I've been up on the couch for a few days with some sort of a virus, so I did get a wee bit of rest. : 0)

      Delete
  36. As always you are a marvel of inspiration! I am always inspired and fired up coming here. Love you, Jayme!!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is so awesome! I am always excited to see a new post from you, especially one with all this exciting goings on :) Congratulations on your new venture!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You never slow down girl! Those Mallows are, oh so puffy! Your sale looked wonderful. I wanna try some. Those flavors sound yummy. Glenco you are one sexy blur in that hairnet. What a good guy. He's definitely a keeper. Good luck Jayme.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm beyond delighted for you!!!! This just may be your start to fame, like "Mrs. Field's Cookies" !!!!! You have so many talents and a priceless gift for sharing the fun and the real… Thank you and God Bless your new endeavor!
    xoxo
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!